Thursday, October 21, 2010

A little more about me....

So I thought I would share a little more about me in this next blog post. As I mentioned before I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes coming up on 4 years ago when I was 23....(so yes I am 27). It came as a complete shock to me and my family. I was lucky enough to be living with my mom and near the rest of my family at the time so was able to lean on them to help me through the changes and adjustments that came with my diagnosis. My mom was with me every step of the way and am not sure how I would have gotten through it without her. From those initial tears and insulin shots, to my middle of the night lows and doctor appointments, she was my rock.  She really gets what it is like to live with Type 1 Diabetes because she was with me through it all, and for this I am very blessed.

Four years later, I am living on my own in Conshohocken PA. (a suburb of Philadelphia). I am proud to be working in finance at a health care company that I have been with since I graduated from Bucknell and I work with some really great people.  I have a niece and a nephew that I love and adore more than I ever thought possible and am so grateful to have them and my sister living near by so I can spend time with them often.  I have a wonderful boyfriend who puts up my moodiness (only some of which I can blame on my blood sugars) and great girlfriends that mean the world to me.  I enjoy working out and running because it helps me relieve stress and manage my blood sugars and because I feel physically at my best after I finish exercising. I love eating out (although I know that doesnt help my blood sugars) and am completely addicted to peanut butter and diet coke. My alcoholic drink of choice is white wine (although its usually a wine spritzer since Im such a light weight) and I love greys anatomy and project runway. I enjoy spending time at the beach in the summer and hope to be a mother one day and follow the great examples I see in my mom and my sister.

Speaking of my sister, I got an email from her as I was typing up this blog during the Phillies game last night. She told me she had posted something on her blog about my diabetes and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation walk we will be walking in on Sunday. I immediately went to her blog and was brought to tears by her kind words of love and support. My amazing sister has supported me over the years in so many ways. She is always there with an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on and is usually the first of my family and friends to sign up for the JDRF walk each year despite being one of the busiest people I know. It is the special people in your life like this that get you through no matter what life throws at you. I love you Heather!!

You can check out her blog here...
http://foodconsidered.blogspot.com/2010/10/juvenile-diabetes.html


No comments:

Post a Comment