Sunday, November 14, 2010

My first 10 mile run....

For last few years, I have been running as my primary form of exercise. I run anywhere from 3-6 miles a few times a week with once in a while pushing myself to run longer- up to 7 or 8 miles. I hadn't pushed myself much farther than that primarily because of my fears of my blood sugar bottoming out and just really not being sure if I would need to stop to have some sugar at some point through a run longer than 7 or 8 miles. I know there are plenty of Type 1 diabetics that run marathons and do triathlons and manage to make it work but I had found myself in my mileage comfort zone- alittle uneasy to push myself further. This morning I decided to just go for it and I went for 10 miles for the first time. In order to prevent dropping during the hour and a half I was out running, I started with my BG close to 280 and ended up feeling great through the whole run. I am proud I pushed myself and conquered my mini "diabetic fear". I hate to admit that my diabetes held me back from conquering this fear earlier, but as I have mentioned in my earlier posts- sometimes avoiding lows on just my shorter runs is tough enough. Turns out managing this 10 mile run wasn't as bad as I thought, and it has given me confidence I can figure out how to manage going even further. I will likely be super sore tomorrow considering I had to rake leaves this afternoon after my run and we took Max for a long walk after dinner- but it will be worth it. I feel great physically and emotionally that I hit this small milestone and didn't even have a low in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment